Sunday, June 24, 2012

Action research outline and things I think I need more help with


Action Research Project

Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports or PBIS

1.   SETTING THE FOUNDATION:   I would use collaboration with the grade level
      leaders that are on the discipline plan committee to discuss the need for a change in
      the way we handle discipline.   I would use one-on-one meetings,  phone interviews
      or conferences, and e-mails.   I would do this in the action research to discuss and
      identify the problem of to many referrals happening the past couple of years.

2.   ANALYZING DATA:   There is a number of different data gatherings out there to
      use for research.   You can use deputy dog (districts discipline computer data base),
      surveys, journals, and interviews from people who already have PBIS in place on
      their campus.

3.   DEVELOPING DEEPER UNDERSTANDING:   I would interview campuses that
      have demographics similar to ours that is using PBIS to get ideas that might need to
      be included in ours to help it work smoothly.   I might interview or question a few
      selected students to see there concerns with the program.   I would always look for
      new ideas through blogs or educational resources.

4.   ENGAGING IN SELF-REFLECTION:   I would ask myself question throughout the
       Process like
·        Is there a way to increase the results?
·        Is there a way to get the parents more involved by using the PBIS method?
·        What are some other ways to better evaluate the plan in action?
·        What other resources or data is out there to be examined?
·        Can PBIS affect anything other then promoting positive behavior?

5.   EXPLORING PROGRAMMATIC PATTERNS:   After a year of the program, I plan
      to meet with the committee and principal to discuss the plan to see if we need to
      tweak it or scrap the whole program.   We would need to ask for advise from the
      other veteran teachers on the campus for a more educated collaborative decision.
      We would have had time at this period to answer questions containing to
      self-reflection and digging deeper.

6.   DETERMINING DIRECTION:   We will decide if the plan needs to be kept in place
      or scraped and we need to look at other solutions to correcting or improving the
      behavior of the students.



After looking into the information I think the plan is pretty sound, but I need to look for other sources to help us make sure the plan is modified to fit our campus the best it can.   I think we need to look into other ideas for evaluation of the plan as well as just the data, interviews, and research.



 
         

2 comments:

  1. Todd,
    My first thought is that it seems a little less thorough possibly because it is in a different format from the others I've read. You may want to paste your items above into the Action Research Template. It is a really great tool to make sure you have thought of every aspect of this project. I agree that positive behavioral interventions are something that needs research! With less parental support, and student behavior on the decline in so many schools, we have to meet their needs in new and different ways.
    (SIDENOTE: A book that my school bases its discipline program off of that seems to be really working is Try and Make Me!: Simple Strategies That Turn Off the Tantrums and Create Cooperation [Paperback]
    Ray Levy (Author), Bill O'Hanlon (Author), Tyler Norris Goode (Author) You may want to use it as part of your professional literary research piece.)
    Is this a discipline program that is already in place at your school? I think I'm a little confused on your timeline. Are you planning on having research done to support one type of plan or another and then implementing a chosen plan and then watching the plan work for a year?i'm probably reading it wrong, but if so, that seems like a huge project and you may want to consider just focusing on part of it.
    As you gather data and collaborate with other schools and the teachers in your school, you may want to send out surveys on line or find a way to have your data from the collaboration/observation in a place you can refer back to it and work with it as a whole. I hope this was somewhat helpful, I can tell you've put a lot of thought into it already! I look forward to reviewing your project more in the future as it develops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the review. It is not anything we have already in process. Thanks for suggestions and I will absolutely look into getting that book for my library. I know this will be a huge project, but something has to change.

      Delete